Monday, December 27, 2010

Inertia in the Time of Rain


It’s been raining all this past week. The only sun I’ve seen in the past five days is spelled with an “o” instead of a “u”. It feels like 6PM, it’s so dark outside. You’ve gathered by now that I harbor no desires to move to Seattle or Portland.

So what have I accomplished these past 5 days? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Yesterday, I crawled back into bed at 11:30AM and read sci-fi fantasy fiction until 4PM. Today promises to be much the same.

This weather drains me. I don’t have this reaction when on vacation to Seattle, London or Hawaii. Then, I know it’s temporary. It’s a vacation. I KNOW it will be rainy in Hawaii when I go. I KNOW the weather in London sucks in March and November. I KNOW it’s wet & drizzly in Gualala in September. I chose to go there knowing what the weather will be like.

One of the many things I love about Palm Springs is that it’s sunny & warm 95% of the time. It’s that pesky 5% I have to contend with. I totally understand how the Mistrals of Arles drove Van Gogh crazy. With Van Gogh, it was the wind. Me? It’s the damp cloudless skies.

This morning, I woke to a blood red sunrise. “Red skies in morning, sailors take warning…” It quickly morphed into fluffy pink and blue clouds. Hopefully, that means change is on the way rather than more rain.

The day was bright and sunny. I had a wonderful afternoon working in the garden soaking up the sun, recharging my batteries. More cloudy skies and rain are expected by the week’s end. This too, shall pass.

Economy aside, it’s been a good year. I’ve grown as an artist and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed living in Palm Springs this past year. I look forward to the coming year with optimism. Come rain or shine, it’s going to be a good year. All I really need is a good umbrella.

Thanks for listening,

Jerry L. Hanson

No comments:

Post a Comment