Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Breathe!


Work in progress:
35 by 38 inches

Today is September 7th (Only if YOU read this on the 7th). I have an opening tentatively scheduled for September 25th, less than three weeks away. I have a meeting with Will Schinsky, Executive Director of the Coachella Valley Arts Alliance, on the 10th to finalize “things” for the show. That will leave two weeks until the opening. I’m beginning to get a bit nervous. I’m beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed.

I’m excited about this show. I’ve had my artwork in galleries before but this is my first opportunity to curate my own work. It’s beginning to feel daunting. In prior shows, the gallery owner chose the pieces for the show, decided what would hang and where and took care of the opening. All I had to do was show up, schmooze and smile.

I’m on my own this time! What is the focus of the show? What pieces to I include or exclude? Do I show only my woven work or include the color field paintings? Do I have time to make MORE work before the opening? In two weeks? I don’t think so!

And then, there is the matter of the opening. By necessity, it will be on a Saturday afternoon due to limitations imposed by the mall in which the gallery is located. That’s ONE decision I do not have to make, thankfully. What do I serve? Do I need crowd control? How many people do I invite and as this is in a mall, will it be invitation only? More crowd control? Oye! My mind reels! And is there a bathroom for guests?

What do I need to provide for the opening? Is there water available close by? Is there something to use for a bar? Where does one find a bar, for crying out loud? Short of renting one, I mean? Do I have nice canapés or Cheese Wiz on Ritz? Is there a bathroom for guests?

Friday the 10th cannot come soon enough. So many questions. I’ve been asking my artist friends for some of their experiences. Great ideas, too! No two openings were similar. Each was unique. Each was wrought with worry and angst. They all had several months to prepare. Months!?! I have weeks! I’m screwed! Take a deep breath; count to 10. I’m OK.

In the mean time, please take a minute to visit my website at www.JerryLHanson.com Take a look at my artwork. Contact me if you want to buy one of my works or if you have any questions about a specific piece. My contact information is on my website or you can leave a comment on this blog site for me to contact you (include your contact info!). You can e-mail me at JeryL@JerryLHanson.com or you can telephone me on my studio phone 760-992-3157. You can call me. I won’t mind. I got nothing to do…

Thank you for listening!

Jerry L. Hanson

No comments:

Post a Comment